Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Coconut Hut scents

http://coconuthutbeauty.com

I first ordered from CH a while ago. The quality of the products is very good, but so many of the scents turn on me - stupid body chemistry! I prefer the body souffle to the lotion because it's thicker and more moisturizing. The lotion had almost a sticky texture to me. Here are the ones I've tried so far. Ones in red are those that didn't work for me and that I wouldn't recommend, ones in green are great. Ones in purple means it didn't work for me but I would definitely recommend for others. :)

Beach Goddess and Beached Coconut: both of these, unfortunately had a plastic-y drydown on me. On cold sniff Beached Coconut was great, but turned. With Beach Goddess I just got a strong coconut note, none of the vanilla.

Blue Aloha Freeze - I admit I only tried this in a body wash but it was too sweet and cloying for me, just a synthetic blueberry scent.

Bobbi Brown Beach - Excellent dupe of the original, and miraculously it doesn't turn on me! Will definitely repurchase next summer.

Bungalow Babe and Cabana Boy - Bungalow Babe was delicious on cold sniff, but on me it was just an off banana scent. If you like fruity scents though, I'd try this. With Cabana Boy all I could smell was banana both on cold sniff and on me. I do love bananas but I don't necessarily want to smell like one!

Chocolate Orange Truffle - This would have been great had the orange note been a little more clear and not drowned out by the chocolate. I was hoping it would be a dupe of Fresh's Chocolate Orange Shea butter, but no such luck. On me it just smelled like donuts. I think on others though with a normal body chemistry it would probably just smell like chocolate.

Cocoa di Miele - truly delicious. If you like slightly sweet foody scents, this is great. I didn't really get a strong coconut note from it but I could definitely smell the chocolate and marshmallow. Unfortunately it turned to straight sugar on me, like cotton candy but a little off.

Devil's Food Cupcake - If you like chocolate scents, this is amazing - a really nice rich chocolately cake scent, not too sweet. It was awful on me - for some reason my chemistry turns some chocolate scents to dirt. Literally, I smelled like dirt. :(

Island Coconut - nice coconut scent so I'd recommend it, but I didn't get any of the rum or vanilla notes that were listed in the scent description. It was total plastic on me but I suspect coconut scents just don't work for me.

Kona Beach Coconut - This is a nice rich coconut scent, probably the best that CH has to offer. It didn't turn plastic on me but it did have a weird sandy smell when it dried down - I'm guessing it's the "white beaches" mentioned in the scent description!

Pink Grapefruit - very true pink grapefruit scent. I really loved it but it turned on me. It smells very similar to Sephora's Pink Grapefruit Whipped Delight body butter.

Poipu Beach - very unique scent, beautiful for summer. It's a tricky scent though, every time I wear it it smells different. From day to day I never know how it'll smell. If you like fruity scents, definitely give this a try.

Sea Foam Slushie - Very nice creamy and fruity scent. It was too sweet for my taste, but if you like a fruity scent that's not too sharp, try this.

Suntan Lotion - I was hoping this really would smell like sunblock, but it didn't smell remotely similar to any suntan lotion or sunblock I've tried. It was just a strange, overly sweet scent.

Surf Bunny - See Suntan Lotion! Again, this smelled nothing like the Hawaiian Tropics Dark Tanning Oil as it said in the description - same problem as Suntan Lotion.

Tahitian Black Coconut - Nice coconut scent but again, plastic on me. Definitely give it a try though if you like coconut scents.

Wai Nui Grapefruit - let's see, how can I say this? I'm not going to say what I thought it smelled like but let's just say it was totally off. It was very sharp and overly tart.

Yuzu - This was a very nice citrus scent but didn't work for me - smelled similar to the Pink Grapefruit but richer and less tart.

So there are reviews of some CH scents. More will be coming, as I still have a few samples to test out and I'm expecting an order soon!